Virtual Camera Set Up for PCs
Why a Virtual Camera?
On a Microsoft operating system, your webcam can only provide a stream to one application at a time.* For example, if you wish to use your webcam in Zoom and also in Chrome at the same time, Microsoft will prevent this.
Fortunately, a technology called “Virtual Cameras” has been out for years to get around this limitation. We recommend you to use Virtual Sapiens Camera, however, if you have a virtual camera preference, please feel free to use that.
*This only affects Microsoft systems, not Macs.
Setting up your Virtual Camera
If you wish to use Virtual Sapiens Camera, here are some step-by-step instructions or you may watch the video above to see the process.
- Download Virtual Sapiens Camera
- Open the downloaded MSI file to start the installation
- Install Virtual Sapiens Camera
- When you close the installer after the installation is completed, the Virtual Sapiens Camera window will launch
- Choose your preferred video device from the “Video device” select box
- Check “Auto-start on startup by default” if you want Virtual Sapiens Camera to be ready for use even after a reboot
- Click “Start Virtual Camera” and the window will minimize in the taskbar
- Restart all applications which will be using your camera so that you can see Virtual Sapiens Camera in the video devices list
- Restarting Chrome:
- Open a new tab
- Type chrome://restart in the Address bar, you will notice the browser shut down and restart.
- All previously opened tabs – and any other windows with Chrome open – will now be restored.
- Restarting desktop client apps such as Zoom or Teams:
- Right-click on the desktop app from the taskbar and choose “Quit” or “Exit”(depending on the app) to stop it.
- Then open it again from the Start menu to start it.
- Restarting Chrome:
- Now Virtual Sapiens Camera should be an available video device in any app.
How do I stop Virtual Sapiens Camera?
To stop Virtual Sapiens Camera:
- Launch the Virtual Sapiens Camera window and click “Stop Virtual Camera”
- Then click on “Exit” from the navigation bar
How do I change my video device in Virtual Sapiens Camera?
To change your video device:
- Stop Virtual Sapiens Camera, if it’s working.
- Select a different video device and click “Start Virtual Camera”
- Restart all applications which are using Virtual Sapiens Camera to make sure the media stream is updated